The book of Lamentations is not the most popular in the Bible study world, and for good reason. It is a book that laments the consequences of sin: on each line of this poetic book we find corporate grief for what has been lost and desperation for God to draw near. And, as such, it is a book that gloriously proclaims the grace of God – that He binds up the brokenhearted, cares for their wounds, and draws near to the poor in spirit. Ultimately, the book of Lamentations paints for us a picture of repentance, and the grace of God that readily meets the heart turned toward Him in faith.
This study will be working verse-by-verse through the book of Lamentations. I want to be clear: this is not a study on grief or a practical help for those processing loss. Rather, it is an exegetical study.
Here’s what you have to look forward to in the 10-week study of Lamentations:
Hebrew grammar: The vocab of lament is incredibly unique, and throughout this study we will get to do several word studies that deepen our understanding of the Hebrew language and how particular words are used repeated to build out the overall theme of the book.
Book overview: Central to our understanding of our this book is the cultural and historic setting. We’ll spend our first week looking at the book as a whole so that we properly understand the cultural setting, original author and audience, and literary structure and genre.
Every digital subscription includes:
- Five days per week of Scripture-based Bible study
- Readings assignments that put the Text at the forefront of your study
- Theological commentary that invites you to interact with the passage
- Study tips that encourage you to do the hard work of study, and guides you into a deeper, more robust understanding of the Word
- Daily questions for reflection to encourage you to think deeply about the Word and integrate the truth of God’s Word into your daily life
- Daily prayer points to guide your prayerful response to the Text
- Access to the current and previous study content
- Sign up today and get your first week free! Just $6/month after that
Click the image below to sign up!